If you're trying to get the word out about your Web site, your business, your services, or just a piece of news that you think is noteworthy, then you'd better be able to pay for it. The major news services, including Reuters, PR Newswire, Associated Press, and others all require a subscription or a hefty fee in order to publish your press releases. That's actually not so bad, because it prevents those services from being flooded by spammers, scammers, frauds, and rip-off artists.
However, if you're running your Web site on a low budget and you want to announce it to the media, there are several "free" news sites out there that will still accept your press releases. These sites will accept just about everything, so be prepared to see your announcement next to offers for "herbal Viagra."
These sites are accessible by Google News, but not by Yahoo News:
- 24-7 Press Release - A site that accepts all press releases but asks for donations as little as $9 (though you can sneak one in with a $0 donation).
- Associated Content - These guys will host your "content" (text, video, audio) if you pay them. They also have a free "library" that allows you to post bulletins and press releases.
- ClickPress - Press release service located in United Arab Emirates (English).
- I-Newswire - Netherlands press release service (also accepts English press releases).
- Newswire Today - US and UK-based press release service.
- The Open Press - This one gives you the choice of submitting a "free press release" or a "press release with stars" - you get more exposure if you pay them.
- PR Inside - a site that places greater emphasis on "free" press releases.
- PG-GB - Press release site in Bulgaria. This one lets you put your press release on their site in HTML with full links.
- PressBase - Press release site that specializes in (spammy) businesses and products; they're likely to approve your press release almost instantly.
- Pressbox - United Kingdom press release service. Pressbox is probably the most popular and widely-used of the free-press-release services.
- Web Newswire - India press release service (also accepts English press releases).
(You may also want to see our page on Free Web Hosting).